Sunday, November 23, 2008

Now Down Under

Hi all,

I've arrived. The trip was a bit long and grueling (30 hours) but at least I had three seats to myself so I could stretch out and sleep. {Blayne: The X-Files movie is desperately awful; I was cringing that poor Skully and Mulder had to endure such a pathetic plot that involves organ trafficking and two-head Russian dog experiments. Skully and Mulder are also lovers but without a spark of passion.}

The first interesting bit of Australian trivia I learned upon landing. The Aussies take quarantine very seriously. All international planes are sprayed with (an apparently) non-toxic spray designed to kill any microbes that enter the country. The flight attendants also spray the interior of the plane, all on the orders of the Australian Quarantine Department. Apparently the spray is WHO-approved but I say people holding handkerchiefs against their mouths. But the beagles that sniff all arrivees and their luggage are just adorable. They all wear little red shoes for some reason.

My Quantas flight from Sydney followed the coast for a bit--so many secluded beaches!!--and then it headed inland. The vegetation is a dull green and reminds me of the landscape in the B.C. Okanagan. The dirt is bright orange, yellow and red! And in the taxi from the airport I saw flocks of pink parrots. The taxi driver explained that Australians try not to kill the prettiest parrots--the rosellas and the kings (I think) but apparently the grey parrots are pretty stupid and fly under moving cars. The taxi driver has accidently killed several recently. I can hear the parrots screaming right now as I sit in the Internet cafe. The weather is great: over 20 degrees. I arrived at the right time since it snowed in the mountains last week in a freak storm that killed a lot of fruit and veggies.

Tomorrow I'm off to take a look at the Aboriginal art at the Australian National Gallery and also tour the National Botanical Gardens. I'm particularly interested in spotting water dragon lizards that run on their hind legs when they're scared. As well, I want to see all the bats that come out at night and cruise through the garden.

Cheerio

1 comment:

DieHardThree said...

another movie spoiled by Natasha...

I'll have to add X-Files to the list.